The demolition and construction started in our service kitchen that will house our future Master’s Bedroom.
Since the whole house will apparently be uncomfortable to live, we decided to prioritize the bedroom as originally planned and suggested to the architect. This will be the Phase 1. The room will accommodate my whole family during the renovation period.
We wanted the same requirements as in our previous one, but we wanted it to have a high ceiling, bigger space with the open shelves walk-in closet and ensuite T&B as usual. The architect suggested making a customized king size bed frame with headboard, including the side tables.
This room has been our common bedroom, our refuge from all dust and mess from outside and temporary storage. It was definitely an unwelcoming idea for my wife, but does she have any choice? Even if it was not yet ready for the installation of the air-conditioning unit, it was immediately installed.
The weather in the Philippines was very unpredictable and it was crucial to complete the roof once and for all. I was on Christmas holiday when we started working on it. Some change in plan was consider like including covering the slab above the garage to provide a den, an extra room for guest, a TV room or study room as our previous one will be used as bedroom for one of the boys. I left the country without finishing the work. Eventually, a roof over my family’s head were screwed and riveted in place.
Since my family lived in here during the whole duration of construction, the architect came up with programme, doing the whole house in four (4) phases. He prepared plan for each phase starting with the master bedroom with walk-in closet and ensuite bath (Ph1 – The Masters); the laundry, service kitchen, maid’s quarter with T&B, formal kitchen, dining and common T&B for the kids (Ph2 – The Service Area); the living room and the courtyard/airwell (Ph3 – The Front Room) and the kid’s rooms and the den (Ph4 – For the kids). We did not include works in the facade (The Envelope) and the apartment at the back (For Rent – Back of the House).
(To be continued…)
The House has gone through a number of extensions, renovations and repairs. From a humble 25 square meters house on 69 square meters lot to about 700 (including a proposed 5-doors apartments at the back), can you imagine how many has been done through all these years?
With the generous help and support of Arch. Butch who provide an almost free assistance, we finally came up with plan to do what I can say “the realization of our dream”. We were so scared as we know our budget seems not enough to start the project.
It was sometime October 2016, when we had the discussion and came up with the plan to have the renovation. We just wanted to re-roof and improve the facade that would make all previous extensions looks like it was done at one time.
The sketches were drawn and shown to us by the architect.
November 2016 from these initial concepts, it started to snowballed into Olympic scale. These drawing started to take its form as Juni, my well-trusted contractor, started to demolish, break, and rebuilt. Deliveries of materials started to filed up our space and the first hollow block has been set.
What makes us finally decide to have this major decision of rebuilding our house? It’s the leak. This bungalow was actually designed and proposed for another storey in the future. So, obviously all the extension has been covered with a slab roof that would serve later as the flooring for the next phase. Unfortunately, budget did not allow me to push with the rest of my plan yet and it’s a fact that a slab is not a wise idea as a shelter from rain. The leaked damage our ceiling and other stuffs below it. We have to bear that for several years, whilst spending money for repairing and repainting till the next rainy season, again and again.
Hence, we came up with the solution, to cover the roof of the whole house and forgo the idea of the having another floor.
To the real thing (with long time business partners, Edgar for the trusses and Apollo for roofing installation). The roof was a combination of Banawe and Multirib from Puyat Steel (0.50mm).
(To be continued…)
Crunched for space, the residents of these homes—mostly under 1,000 square feet—have the same ideas: look upward and compartmentalize. Lofted sleeping areas, closets, and reading nooks are among the smart space-saving solutions.
An art studio made with two side-by-side steel shipping containers perched on top of a foundation wall -with interior ceiling height of 18′ in the studio proper. (Maziar Behrooz Architecture)
Maziar Behrooz Architecture, Initials. (n.d.). prefab: containers. Retrieved from http://www.mbarchitecture.com/container-studio/